Saturday, August 15, 2015

2012 Louis Martini Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Saturday!  Well it was sure a hot one here today, it was about 90 degrees but with the humidity it felt like 100 easy.  I ran some errands this morning and then took it easy this afternoon, enjoying the air conditioning, but at least while I was out I managed to get a new bottle of wine to try this evening, the 2012 Louis Martini Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  I think the first time I tried their Napa Cabernet was the 2007 vintage which was outstanding, as well as a big bargain back then, I think it was about $15!  Today I bought this bottle and thought it a good value at $25!


The wine itself is a lovely deep ruby color along the edges, leading to some inky purple at the center, classic Napa Cabernet.  The nose exhibits aromas of leather, tobacco, some floral notes blanketing some rich ripe berry fruit notes.  The taste was outstanding, a brief rush of ripe blackberry and cherry notes that give way to some lovely mineral and spice notes midpalate.  The finish was full and voluptuous with fine tannins supporting the velvety mouthfeel and long, smooth, exceptionally dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's still a bit young, but in my opinion represents an outstanding Napa Valley Cabernet for the price.  This wine is a classic from a great vintage that certainly rivals 2007 and like most Napa Cabernets, this wine is perfect for a big steak.  Tonight I'm pairing it with a rare, thick cut boneless Angus ribeye along with a baked potato and some haricot verts almondine.  So yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment