Sunday, April 5, 2015

2012 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Cabernet Franc

Happy Easter!  Now before you think me a non-traditionalist for my dinner selection, I have a wonderful ham that I fully intend to cook for Easter dinner, but since my travel schedule is so hectic, I'll wait a couple of Sundays to make it so I can thoroughly enjoy the leftovers!  Oh, and the wine, since I don't have to pair with ham, I thought a more traditional wine would be in order as well, so tonight it's the 2012 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Cabernet Franc.  This wine is 100% Cabernet Franc from the McClellan Estate vineyard and an incredibly limited production of just 23 cases!


The wine is a beautiful inky purple in the glass with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose is a lovely combination of leather, mint and ripe black fruit.  The taste is a refreshing blast of fruit up front, blackberry, boysenberry and black cherry that easily transition to some earthy notes of dusty limestone, white pepper and vanilla midpalate.  The tannins, though still developing are nicely structured, giving a great base for the long, smooth, dry finish.  I'm also impressed with the level of flavor complexity in this wine, as every sip seems to present another hidden nuance of flavor that you didn't notice before.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's an exceptional example of the varietal, though it could certainly improve with a bit of time in the cellar.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with my non-traditional Easter dinner of a rare grilled Angus porterhouse, baked potato and a variety of grilled veggies.  This is just the perfect wine to enjoy with a big steak, as it has the backbone and structure to stand up to charred beef, but the complex flavors to really complement all aspects of your meal.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment