Wednesday, April 15, 2015

2006 Shining Hill Columbia Valley Red Wine

Happy hump day!  It feels good to be home for a change after the recent hectic travel schedule I've kept, and since I'm home I can cook dinner and enjoy a glass or two of wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of the 2006 Shining Hill Columbia Valley Red Wine, a product of the Col Solare Winery.  A year or so ago I reviewed the 2007 vintage which you can see here, so let's see how its older brother stacks up.


The wine is a deep purple color with ruby along the edges and somewhat opaque.  The nose is actually surprisingly fruity, with aromas of blackberry, plum and cassis overlaid with some lovely baking spice and mineral notes.  The taste is quite fresh with some blueberry and blackberry up front that easily transitions to some cherry cola and mint midpalate.  The finish is quite mellow, with some soft tannins supporting a long, dry finish that's smooth, not abrupt as so many big reds can be.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7, it is very pleasant, but it seems to be just a bit past it's prime.  Tonight I'm enjoying this one with a lovely rare grilled Angus New York strip, backed potato and grilled Brussels sprouts.  Sipping a nice wine while grilling outdoors in the cool of the evening, seems like I've been waiting six months for this!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment