Thursday, January 29, 2015

2011 Forgeron Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Thursday!  Today I received a wonderful surprise from the Fedex guy at my office, my latest wine club delivery from Forgeron Cellars!  This club selection was the 2012 Primitivo and the 2011 Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon which I decided to open for tonight's dinner (this Cabernet is actually a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (84%), Cabernet Franc (8%) and Petit Verdot (8%)).  Given that Seattle is playing in the big game on Sunday, I thought tonight would be a good night for a classic Pacific Northwest dinner to celebrate what I hope will be another Seahawks Lombardi trophy!


The wine is a lovely deep garnet color in the glass.  The nose is just dynamite, a rich earthy combination of leather, toasted oak and ripe plum bordering on prune.  The taste was quite a surprise, as you open with a lovely bit of floral presence, some lavender and rose petals that quickly transitions to some ripe plum and blackberry flavors midpalate.  The tannins are nicely structured, lending to the velvety mouthfeel and supprorting the long, smooth and very dry finish that seems to last a minute or more.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, one of my favorite Cabernets in quite a while, and one that's likely to improve with some time in the cellar.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic Northwest dinner of cedar planked Coho salmon filet served over a bed of baby kale tossed with a bit of aged white balsamic, some oven roasted potatoes and steamed cauliflower.  Yeah, I know, Cabernet is for steak, but isn't Coho just the steak of the fish world?  Sante!

No comments:

Post a Comment