Tuesday, December 2, 2014

2011 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Cabernet Savignon

A weeknight and I get to enjoy a wine from one of my favorite Washington wineries, L'Ecole No. 41!  Tonight I've opened a bottle of the 2011 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon, usually an easy choice for what's sure to be a nice bottle.


The wine is a beautiful ruby color in the glass with just a bit of opacity.  The nose is quite nice, with a combination of ripe plums, blackberries and tart cherry intermingled with some green herb notes. The taste is quite nice, with a bit of cherry compote and smoke at the outset, transitioning to some tobacco and earthy peat notes midpalate.  The tannins are well integrated and nicely structured to support the long, supple and very dry finish.  This wine reminds me a lot of the more classic Cabernets that you found 20 years ago, with a lot more finesse than many wine you find today.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a great bottle with the classic Cabernet characteristics that I've really come to appreciate over the years, and it comes at a descent price of just $39!  Tonight I am enjoying this with a classic Cabernet dinner pairing of rare grilled Angus ribeye with a baked potato and grilled leeks and Brussels sprouts, so yummy!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment