Monday, December 22, 2014

2010 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Well, 'tis the season to have lots of fun and good food, and since I was good today and went to the gym, I figured I deserved a treat for dinner, so I've opened up a very nice bottle of wine, the 2010 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon!


The wine is an inky black color at the center, leading to some bright ruby along the edges with nice clarity.  The nose is just lovely, with notes of black licorice, tarragon, blueberry and some Asian spice.  The taste is quite refined, with a some subdued flavors of cassis, blueberry and notes of espresso up front which transition to some elegant flavors of pipe tobacco, dusty limestone and white pepper midpalate.  The finish is quite nice, with nicely structured and well integrated tannins supporting the long, lush, absolutely bone dry finish that just beckons another sip.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 9, with still more potential to improve with some cellaring over the next decade or so.  This is a perfect steak house sort of wine, with great flavor, nicely structured but not overpowering, the perfect complement to a nice rare steak, with lucky for me I happen to have this evening!  Tonight I'm pairing this wine with a rare grilled cowboy cut ribeye about 3" thick along with a baked potato and some grilled brussels sprouts.  So much meat and rich flavors to make this a bottle well worth the price (I bought this one from Wines Till Sold Out for just $60, about $10 less than the usual price).  But it's the holidays and I think I deserve a nice present to myself!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment