Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2009 DaMa Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

A little more than one day left in 2014, so enjoy it while it lasts!  Tonight I'm enjoying a nice wine from a producer that I discovered on my last road trip to Walla Walla back in 2013 (see my tasting post from back then: My final day in Walla Walla).  A couple weeks ago I received an e-mail from DaMa noting that they were offering a half-off discount on the last of their 2009 Cowgirl Cab (see my tasting notes here: 2009 Cowgirl Cab) and 2009 Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, so I ordered a case or so of each.  It arrived last week, so now I get the chance to taste the 2009 DaMa Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, which is actually a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (80%), Merlot (10%) and Cabernet Franc (10%).


The wine is a nice bright ruby color in the glass, with great clarity.  The nose is a rich combination or black fruit, blackberry, cassis and a hint of prune overlaid with a nice bit of leather and earth.  The taste is very pleasant, with some rich fruit notes or blackberry and cassis up front that transition effortlessly to some wonderful flavors of dark chocolate and espresso midpalate.  The finish is warm and inviting, with well structured tannins that provide balance to the long, velvety dry finish that just beckons you to have another sip.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's an easy drinking wine that's also a great value, regularly $30, but this one was about $20 with the discount and shipping.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic Cabernet paring, a rare grilled New York Strip, some grilled leeks and Brussels sprouts and a nice big baked potato with butter and sour cream.  The rich fruit and subtle earthy notes in this wine make it a perfect pairing for any steak, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment