Saturday, November 29, 2014

2011 Forgeron Malbec StoneTree Vineyard

Well happy Saturday!  Today I slept late, ran errands, then bought some fresh pine and cedar garland to start decorating for the holidays, so tonight I've earned a little break.  And what's better with a break than a nice bottle of wine?  Tonight's selection is one that I recently received from one of my wine club shipments, the 2011 Forgeron Cellars Malbec from the StoneTree Vineyard on the Wahluke Slope.  Now had I realized when I grabbed my corkscrew how limited the production of this wine was (just 95 cases!) I might have held onto it for a while, but what the heck!


The wine is a deep dark brooding ruby color in the glass, that is almost black at the center leading to brighter color along the edges.  The nose is just fantastic, some bright fruit notes, blackberries, plums, with a lovely smokiness overlaying some toasted oak and spice notes that just brings to mind all that is best about the holidays, the wonderful foods, fires in the hearth, pine boughs hung and trees decorated, fresh fruit, the smell of pies and cookies wafting from the kitchen, this wine just smells like Christmas to me!  The taste is just as much of a treat, with some rich fruit flavors up front, cherry cola, blackberries, currants, all cooked down to a lovely glaze, which transitions to some wonderful spice notes mixed with smoke midpalate.  The finish is just lovely, with some coarse mineral notes, dusty limestone along with the well structured tannins supporting a long, supple and sublimely dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5 as it's probably my favorite Malbec (of course you all know I'm not a huge fan of Malbec, but I could drink this one all day long).  The price was a little steep at $46, but given the limited production it's perfectly understandable and worth it.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a little unusual comfort food, some steamed snow crab legs along with oven roasted fingerling potatoes and some grilled asparagus, but it would be perfect with any hearty winter meal, from rich stews to braised short ribs or lamb, the sweet fruit and spice makes this one a perfect Christmas wine for all!  Sante!

No comments:

Post a Comment