Saturday, October 25, 2014

2011 Reininger Malbec

Well, it was a busy day of leaf collection, thankfully it seems we are nearing the end of it, or perhaps just entering the middle of it, oh forget it, I just confused myself!  At any rate, after a long day of raking and leaf blowing, I figure it's time for a nice glass of wine and a nice dinner before I head out to the Elkhart Civic Theater to see Young Frankenstein this evening!  And tonight's wine is the 2011 Reininger Malbec, and for those who know, I'm not the biggest Malbec fan but in the case of Reininger's limited production (only 56 cases!) I always make an exception!


The wine is a beautiful garnet color in the glass leading to an almost inky hue at the center.  The nose is quite nice, ripe black fruit, rich blackberry, plum and currant easing into notes of leather, graphite and a hint of rose petal.  The taste is quite refined, with a rush of ripe fruit that quickly subsides, leaving you with some woody notes and a hint of spice midpalate.  The tannins are quite smooth, lending a nice foundation to the long, smooth, sultry finish that leaves you practically begging for another sip.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, and at $45 with my wine club discount this is a premium bottle but well worth it!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic dinner that hearkens back the the Andean origins of modern Malbec, a thick rare Angus ribeye along with a big baked potato and some grilled leeks and Brussels sprouts, really a last gasp of summer before the Autumn really kicks in!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment