Friday, September 26, 2014

2011 Three Rivers Winery Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

TGIF!  The is a great Friday as it marks the end of the two busiest weeks of the year for me at work!  Whew!  So tonight I think I deserve a break, with a big ol' steak and a nice bottle of vino, so tonight I've selected a Cabernet from a familiar Washington producer that was a very popular wine club selection this month at work, the 2011 Three Rivers Winery Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon!


The wine is a beautiful rich ruby color in the glass with a bit of opacity at the center.  The nose is a lovely combination of vanilla bean, leather, blackberry and a hint of graphite.  The taste is a modest bit of fruit up front, some blackberry and plum, but very subtle, which transitions to some lovely winter spice notes midpalate, a bit of nutmeg and vanilla which brings my mind right to Christmas time.  The finish is very nice, with a strong minerality, dusty limestone and some basalt that intermingle with some very well integrated tannins, providing for a long, smooth and exceptionally dry finish.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's solid and a great value at $17!  This is definitely not the fruit bomb sort of Cabernet that seems so prevalent today, but is wonderfully structured and complex.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled porterhouse, baked potato and some steamed green beans that I bought fresh from an Amish family.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment