Saturday, June 28, 2014

2011 Maison Bleue Liberte Syrah

Well, it's been a long week, lots to do at work, but it was a really successful week so now it's time for a little time to relax and celebrate the good things that happened this week!  And for that I've decided to open up a bottle of 2011 Maison Bleue Liberte Boushey Vineyard Syrah from the Yakima Valley of Washington.  For those who don't remember, I first found out about Maison Bleue just after they opened their tasting room in Walla Walla and I was suitably impressed with the quality of the wines I tried.  So later when they started I wine club I was happy to join so I could continue enjoying their wines.


This syrah has a classic bright ruby color in the glass.  The nose is a lovely combination of rich black fruit, blackberries, plums and black currant intermingled with leather and a hint of anise.  The taste is wonderfully fruit forward with a burst of blackberries and plum, but that transitions effortlessly to some nice smoky and earthy notes midpalate, with some nice coarse minerality that adds to the complexity of this wine.  The finish is quite nice, well rounded tannins provide a nice foundation for a long, smooth and very dry finish.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8.5 as it's a very solid example of a Washington syrah that should improve with a few more years in the bottle.  The wine would pair very well with a lot of big meaty dishes, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with a nice grilled salmon steak served over a bed of baby kale with white balsamic reduction and a nice baked potato.  Finally a relaxing dinner at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment