Friday, May 9, 2014

2013 Seven Hills Dry Rose

What a day!  It's a Friday, which should be a gentle slope into a relaxing weekend but today was nothing of the sort!  I was awakened at about 3:30 this morning by the sound of a wind storm moving through, and when I got up three hours later there was a huge branch laying in my back yard!  So I had to leave work early today to take my truck in as the window washers weren't working (thankfully they just had a calcium clog so the blew them out and no charge later I was back to my house to deal with the branches.  Thankfully my handyman arrived by then and we took down the branches and then cut some more dead limbs from the tree, all in 85-degree humid weather, but in a couple hours the branches were piled up by the street.  So needless to say I'm in need of a nicely chilled glass of high quality rose to sip this evening, and am I in luck as I put a bottle of 2013 Seven Hills Columbia Valley Dry Rose in the fridge last night!


The wine is a lovely blend of mainly Cabernet Franc with a bit of Petit Verdot and Malbec which makes for a nice structure and some great fruit expressions.  This wine is a very pale rose, with a color that just reminds me of magnolia blossoms.  The nose is just a breath of summer, with aromas of fresh herbs, green grass and some fresh summer fruit notes of grapefruit and peach.  The taste is a burst of summer flavors, cool citrus and tropical notes that quickly transition to fresh herbs and a hint of spice.  The finish is absolutely bone dry, in fact I've never had a rose this dry before, but it was such a wonderful treat, such a crisp and refreshing wine that was quite unexpected.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's just a great rose, ideal as a summer wine for heavy, dry red wine fans like me.  Tonight I've already enjoyed a glass on the deck as I watched the birds descend on the freshly filled feeder, but I plan to enjoy some with a dinner of grilled kielbasa along with some spinach and feta pierogis, a perfect accompaniment to the sweetness of the sausage and the richness of the spinach and feta.  Here's to a more relaxing weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment