Thursday, December 26, 2013

2010 Seven Hills Ciel du Cheval

Happy Boxing Day!  What fun there is to be had around the holidays, and for the day after Christmas, traditionally known as Boxing Day in the British Commonwealth I've decided to open a bottle of 2010 Seven Hills Ciel du Cheval!  The wine is one of my favorite blends of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot from one of my favorite producers, Seven Hills out of Walla Walla. 

The wine is a lovely deep purple color in the glass with limited opacity. The nose is a lovely blend of green grass, balsamic, cedar and cocoa powder. The taste is quite lovely, with some subtle fruit up front that's enveloped with some complex flavors of anise, lavender and minerality. The finish is long, smooth and with a velvety mouthfeel that just lasts for a minute or more. 


Overall I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a great example of a classic Walla Walla Bordeaux style blend but at a terrific value, as I found three bottles of this at my local wine merchant for only $28 after my 15% case discount!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a lovely dinner of baked Christmas ham, baked potato, grilled Brussels sprouts and a Mediterranean salad. The wine is the perfect balance to the sweet smoky flavor of the ham and the richness of the grilled Brussels sprouts. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment