Saturday, August 10, 2013

2003 Bodega Matarredonda Libranza Toro

Well tonight is Cellar Saturday, even thought it's a week late!  As I mentioned earlier in the week, I had my high school reunion last Saturday so I had to travel to Chicago for that and missed the first Saturday of the month, hence I missed Cellar Saturday.  Well tonight we are catching up with a nice decade old Tempranillo, the 2003 Bodega Matarredonda Libranza Toro!


The wine itself is a beautiful deep indigo, almost an inky color at the center transitioning to garnet along the edges.  The nose is classic Tempranillo, with lovely ripe fruit notes, blueberry, black cherry and cassis, overlaid with some lovely notes of leather, oak, dried herbs and floral notes.  The taste is very interesting, with some muted fruit notes at the outset, accented by some dried flowers which rather smoothly transitions to some exotic spice notes and dusty limestone midpalate.  The finish is quite nice, with flavors of dark chocolate and cherry cola over the nicely structured tannins that provide for a long, exceptionally dry finish.  What a lovely example of the wines Spain has to offer!

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's a lovely Tempranillo and it was a great value as I bought this one from Wines Till Sold Out for only $16!  Tonight I am pairing this with my first ever attempt at a grilled Angus porterhouse with homemade chimichurri, to pair some Argentine flavors with a Spanish wine, new world meets old world!  Along with the steak I have a variety of grilled root vegetables, including heirloom carrots, golden and candy striped beets and some lemon herb couscous, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment