Saturday, July 27, 2013

2011 Erath Oregon Pinot Noir

Tonight I've decided to go a little lighter for the summer fare that will be on my plate this evening, so I've decided to open a bottle of 2011 Erath Oregon Pinot Noir that I bought today at my favorite local wine purveyor, G.B. Russo's!  I figured it would be somewhat lighter, though with the cool weather we've had lately I could have gone with the heaviest of Cabs and felt wine with my choice!


The wine is light in color, and somewhat translucent, like many of the quality Pinot Noirs from the Willamette Valley of Oregon.  The nose has some lovely fruit, blackberry and strawberry, with some lovely earthy notes, cedar and sagebrush, just like you might smell if you were walking through the valley.  The taste is very pleasant, with berries and cherry notes teasing you at the outset, gradually transitioning to some wonderfully earthy spice notes, cracked pepper.  The lovely, rather mild tannins lead you to some nice vanilla notes at the end, for a lovely, long and smooth finish that beckons you to take another sip!


Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a lovely example of a classic Oregon pinot noir, but it was also a relative bargain at only $16!  Tonight I am trying this one with a new recipe for poached wild Alaskan sockeye salmon, with some wild mushrooms and fresh green beans in a white wine cream sauce over some al dente buccatini, so delicious and the pinot just pairs so well with the earthy notes of the wild mushroom cream sauce, Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately this offering is made from grapes that come from several Oregon sites and labeled Oregon for a reason - not Willamette Valley. If a larger quantity of the grapes used were from the WV it would say so - check their website.;

    ReplyDelete