Friday, June 21, 2013

2009 Domaine Virginie Thunevin Bordeaux

I know, I know, I've been totally slacking off on my wine blog, I could blame my insanely busy work schedule, but that's really not an excuse.  So here is my attempt to make it up to you, a new bottle of 2009 vintage Bordeaux, this from Domaine Virginie Thunevin, from Jean-Luc Thunevin, a producer that is one of the original "Garragistes" from the 1990s who rocked the Bordeaux world with wines crafted in their garages!  This particular wine is a blend of Merlot (70%), Cabernet Sauvignon (20%) and Cabernet Franc (10%).


The wine itself is a lovely deep ruby in the glass.  The nose is a wonderfully rich blend of ripe fruit, black currant, ripe plum (almost a prune), leather and tar, a classic Bordeaux.  The taste is very fruit forward with ripe berries, cherries and plum, that transitions effortlessly to some floral notes midpalate.  The finish has some lovely cedar and tar, as the nicely structured tannins support a very dry, classic garragiste Bordeaux finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a lovely example of a nouveau style of Bordeaux at a very good value as I bought this one from Wines Till Sold Out for less than $12!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a somewhat nontraditional pairing of Thai peanut curry noodles, as the richness and spice of the dish play nicely off the rich dark fruit and tannins of the wine. Sante!

No comments:

Post a Comment