Friday, May 24, 2013

2010 C.M.S. Columbia Valley Red Blend

Tonight I've opened up a new Washington wine from the Columbia Valley, the 2010 C.M.S. Columbia Valley red wine, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (48%), Merlot (40%) and Syrah (12%) from the Hedges Family Estate in Benton City, Wash.  I'll be the first to admit, although I am a huge fan of Washington wines, I have not encountered this particular wine before, so I was happy to try it when I found it as the wine of the week at my local wine merchant, G. B. Russo & Sons.


The wine has a nice ruby color in the glass, but I'll warn you ahead of time to give this wine a bit of air, as my first impression was an aroma of sweet medicine, but after some evening air, that cleared up straight away.  The nose is a combination of tobacco, jammy fruit, and some dried herbs.  The taste was dominated by some tart cherry up front, which transitioned to some earthy notes and chalky limestone.  The medium finish was supported by some young tannins that made this wine very easy to drink.

Overall, I would rate this wine a 7.5, as I think it's a nicely structured red blend with some potential to improve with a few years in the cellar, but it's also a good value at only $10!  Tonight I am enjoying a glass after dinner with a bit of 90% dark chocolate, as the bitterness of the chocolate makes a nice counterbalance to the jammy sweetness of the fruit up front.  It would also pair nicely with a variety of summer dishes, particularly as we get ready for Memorial Day, the first major grilling holiday of the summer! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment