Friday, March 22, 2013

2006 L'Ecole No. 41 Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

So I raided the cellar tonight for my latest celebration of Washington Wine Month, and I came up with a nice, and somewhat more mature Cabernet Sauvignon, the 2006 L'Ecole No. 41 Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  At the ripe old age of 7, this wine is just starting to come into its own, and thankfully I'm here to enjoy the ride!


The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, and the nose is just spectacular, with rich aromas of ripe dark fruit that practically dare you to gulp this one down, but you know you have to savor it for all it's worth.  The aromas of ripe plum and rich blackberry and cassis are balanced by some lovely floral notes and hints of spice.  The taste was well worth the wait, as you are first hit with a rush of lush fruit flavors that quickly transform to some notes of cherry cola, cedar and cocoa powder midpalate.  The finish is just lovely, with wonderfully balanced tannins supporting a long dry finish that still has lovely hints of fruit and spice dancing around your tongue for what seems like a minute or more.

Overall, I would rate this one a solid 8.5, as it's just a solid Columbia Valley Cabernet, that was probably a terrific value when I bought it four or five years ago (can I buy more?).  Tonight I am pairing it with a classic dinner meant for a lovely Cabernet, a wonderful Angus T-bone, about an inch and a half thick, grilled rare, with some lovely grilled asparagus tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper and a big ol' baked potato!  So much deliciousness that I can hardly contain myself!



No comments:

Post a Comment