Friday, January 11, 2013

2010 Santa Alicia Reserva Cabernet Savignon

Ah, it's good to reach the end of a long week, and what a perfect way to end the week by opening a nice bottle of wine!  Tonight I am enjoying a nice Cabernet Sauvignon from the Maipo Valley of Chile, the 2010 Santa Alicia Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon.  This is the second bottle of Chilean wine I've had this month, and I must say I haven't been disappointed.


The color of this wine is a deep purple at the center, easing to a bright ruby along the edges.  The nose is quite interesting, with aromas of ripe plum and blackberry intermingled with oak, spice and a grassy smell that creates an odd complexity.  The taste is quite fruit forward, with ripe berry flavors that quickly give way to some tar, tobacco and spice midpalate.  The finish of this full bodied wine is quite lush, with firm tannins providing just the right bit of tartness to balance the full mouthfeel.  This is a very nice Cabernet that will likely not benefit from much more age, and is drinking quite nicely right now.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, as it's a nice wine, and a terrific value at under $10!  I bought this bottle in a "mystery 6-pack" of wines from wineshopper.com, so I'm not sure the exact price, but all 6 bottles were $50 I think.  Tonight I am pairing this with Sandmann's barbecue, which has recently returned to the Grand Rapids dining scene (being from the south side of Chicago, I love me some barbecue and Sandmann's is the real deal!), so I am having some rib tips, biscuits and cole slaw, and the nicely structured finish of this wine makes it a great pairing to the sweet and spicy sauce on my rib tips, YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment