Thursday, January 3, 2013

2008 Cantina del Grifone 1967 Toscana

Tonight I need to relax!  I've returned to work which is always a challenge after being out for more than a week for the holidays.  Why is it that holidays are always so much work?  I long for the days when I was a kid and it was all waiting, then opening presents, eating till your heart's content and then someone else was there to clean up the mess!  At any rate, tonight I am enjoying a nice little bottle of Tuscan wine that I picked up at Trader Joe's over said holiday break, the 2008 Cantina del Grifone 1967 Toscana, a nice blend of Sangiovese (85%), Cabernet Sauvignon (10%) and Syrah (5%).


The wine is a very nice, rich ruby color in the glass, exhibiting the proper characteristics of a Sangiovese blend.  The nose just starts speaking Italian to me, scents of anise, oak, and the spice section of my local Italian market (so what would that be, perhaps some oregano, basil, rosemary and thyme?).  The taste is fairly smooth and well balanced, nothing that makes your heart skip a beat, some ripe fruit on the front end, intermingled with some floral notes leading to a hint of tart cherry midpalate, and a smooth dry finish with a bit of cocoa powder.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7, not because it was such a spectacular wine, but because it was just a fantastic value at only $6!  Trader Joe's has a lot of wines in this price range, and I find many of them to be worth considerably less, but this one is a new favorite!  Tonight I am pairing it with a bit of linguine with some homemade red sauce, the perfect accompaniment to a nice value Tuscan red!  Cin cin!

No comments:

Post a Comment