Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Snooth Alto Adige Virtual Tasting

So tonight I had the pleasure of participating in a virtual tasting on Snooth.com (one of my favorite wine websites, you should really join, don't cost nothin'!).  For those who have never experienced this, a group of us all over the world sit in front of our computers and taste the same wines (gee, that just sounded really geeky, but oh well), led by an expert in the wine field, most often Gregory Dal Piaz, Snooth's editor in chief.  So on tonight's VT, he was sitting in the Alto Adige region of northern Italy, with several wine makers from the region as we tasted their wines.  And without further adieu, my tasting notes from the tasting.


2011 Castelfeder Pinot Grigio, tasted with Ines Giovanett of Castelfeder - this wine was much different that many of the pinor gris or pinot grigio I've tried (and those who know me know I've tried very few).  The wine has great fresh, crisp aromas of light fruit, peach and grass and some light floral notes.  The taste is quite complex, and I think round would be a great word to describe it, as it's not nearly as sharp and acidic as many domestic examples.  As the wine opens up a bit, the minerality of the region really comes through.  A great white wine, perfect for late summer or early fall, and would pair nicely with some seared sea scallops.  I give this one a solid 8!

2009 Andrian Pinot Nero (Noir) - has a lovely light red color, lovely aromas of red fruit, ripe plum and blackberry, the aroma really takes me back to my days living in Portland and enjoying the wonderful pinot noirs of the Willamette Valley.  The taste is light and warm, with delicate fruit flavors of ripe berries, and strawberries.  There is some mild acidity that makes for a very delicate finish.  I think this wine would pair very well with a beautiful cedar planked salmon filet with a little rosemary.  Overall, I would rate this one a reasonable 7.5.

2010 Manincor Lagrein, tasted with Count Michael Gross-Enzenber of Manincor - this is a whole other country when it comes to wine, as the Lagrein is a unique grape to the Alto Adige.  This is a mountain red wine, and it really seems that way with some lovely aromas that make me feel like I'm standing in a pasture.  The wine is a lovely dark ruby to purple in the glass, with some sweet aromas of ripe fruit.  The taste has some subdued fruit and very nice warmth to it, I was expecting a big bold Cabernet like wine, but this one is much more rustic.  Very gentle tannins, and a nice minerality on the finish.  This wine would pair so nicely with some beef tenderloin and wild rice, or perhaps some braised lamb shank.  Overall, I would rate this one a solid 8, but I can't wait to let this one open up a bit and have some more tomorrow!

So there you have it, your virtual experience of my virtual tasting!  Thanks Snooth and thanks of all the great wine producers of the Alto Adige!

No comments:

Post a Comment