Saturday, August 11, 2012

2007 Sirius Bordeaux

So tonight I've decided to try a bottle of Bordeaux I bought a few weeks ago at a local supermarket, the 2007 Sirius Bordeaux, a blend of Merlot (65%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (35%).  Now as I recall, I picked up this bottle since it seemed like a nice basic Bordeaux blend for a table wine, and that's exactly what I got out of it.


After breathing for a bit, the wine has a lovely nose of oak, anise, and some spicy notes.  The taste is very Bordeaux, but it also reminds me of a number of the wonderful American Bordeaux blends coming out of the pacific northwest, with ripe fruit at the outset, transitioning into black pepper spice and finishing with some very mellow tannins to a nice, dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7, it's just a great solid wine that would accent a great variety of dishes.  Tonight I am enjoying it with a nicely grilled ribeye steak, very rare, along with some sweet potato fries and some steamed baby vegetables.  The wine holds up quite nicely to a rare grilled steak, and I expect it would be a nice accompaniment to a number of heavier meat dishes.  It was also quite a value, as I recall this wine was about $10 at my local retailer, so certainly a good value.

No comments:

Post a Comment