Saturday, July 7, 2012

2011 Rose des Karantes

I have been a big fan of this producer since I met the winemaker at a tasting event in Grand Rapids in 2008, and at that time I bought a half case of the 2005 Diamant des Karantes, which to this day is one of the best examples of the Languedoc wine, aged for 18 months in new French oak and vinified in the tradition of La Clape, what a wonderful wine that truly brings out the terroir of the south of France.

Well, tonight we have a bottle of the 2011 Rose des Karantes, a wonderful blend of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre, of my!  Well for those of you familiar, the GSM blend is foundation for many of the most wines from the south of France, including the wonderful Châteauneuf-du-Pape!  Well needless to say, wince I love the traditional red GSM blends, why wouldn't I like a rose?  After all, when it's 100 degrees outside, I could use a nice chilled wine with my meal!


The wine itself has a wonderful nose of fresh strawberry, green apple and melon.  The taste is clean and refreshing, with citrus tones and ripe summer fruit, particularly notes of strawberry and some kiwi, but it is not sweet!  Oh no!  This wine is very dry and crisp, the perfect accompaniment to any hot summer evening, like the one I'm enduring, I mean enjoying tonight!  For this wine, I easily rate it an 8, it is by far my favorite rose of the few I've tasted, and for a sale price of $9 how can you go wrong?


Speaking of accompaniments, tonight I am enjoying this wine with a meal inspired by my friends from Schuler Farms, who were at G.B. Russo's today where I bought this wine.  I love the folks at Schuler Farms as they always have the most wonderful produce that inspires the best in my cooking.  Thanks to them, I got some fresh dill today, and that inspired me to make some lemon dill cream sauce, but what could I put that on?  How about some alder planked salmon?  And maybe add some Klondike fingerling potatoes and some steamed purple asparagus and there you have it, the perfect meal to accompany this wonderful rose!

No comments:

Post a Comment