Friday, July 6, 2012

2010 Waterbrook Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

What a day, and what a week!  I can surely use a lovely glass of wine with my dinner, but first a photo for your enjoyment:


This photo was taken from my patio two winters ago, and since it was 103 degrees here today, and over 100 degrees for the second day in a row, this photo just makes me feel better, knowing winter is only 5 months away!  And for any of you in the Midwest or East, you can certainly relate and likely appreciate the above master work in photography.

So on to tonight's festivities.  Having just returned from my big vacation to Walla Walla, I thought why not open another bottle of wine from one of the Walla Walla winemakers?  This one comes from Waterbrook, a winery that I drove past twice on the way to L'Ecole No. 41, but I didn't have time to stop.  Fortunately my local wine merchant, G.B. Russo & Sons got a couple shipments of Waterbrook's 2010 Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon and put it on sale for just $11.49!  So I figured even if I don't like it, it's at least inexpensive.

Now Dave Russo warned me that when first opening this wine is a bit rough, but after they let it breathe overnight, the next morning at the tasting it was lovely and people bought his whole supply that morning!  Well, since I am thirsty and don't have a day to let it breathe, I'll just make do with my aerating pourer!


The wine is a lovely deep purple color in the glass with a nice ruby color along the edges.  The nose presents with aromas of leather, licorice, some fresh herbs and just the faintest hint of ripe fruit.  The wine is surprisingly fruit forward, with a taste of ripe plum and cherry, which quickly gives way to hints or grass or hay mixed with cherry syrup midpalate.  The rather sharp tannins make for a tight finish that's really quite dry, but rather short.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 7, it's nothing spectacular but for the price it was a very good value.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with some wonderful steak fajitas, as it's hearty enough to lend a strong supporting role to spicy grilled steak, onions, peppers and cheese, so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment