Saturday, June 16, 2012

2009 Seven Hills Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

What a busy day!  I started this morning at the farmer's market to get some fresh veggies, they had a wonderful selection of fresh asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, sugar snap peas, lettuce and wonderful fresh ripe strawberries.  Then off to the World Market to pick up a few items, then to the fish market to get tonight's dinner (more on that later on), then the meat market to get some wonderful Angus T-bones (I've had a craving for a T-bone since hearing the "beef it's what's for dinner commercials on the radio all through Idaho and Wyoming!) and some thick juicy ribeyes.

And so now that the chores are done, I can relax with a nice glass of wine that I brought back from my recent trip to Walla Walla.  Tonight I am having a nice bottle of 2009 Seven Hills Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  Now there are many differences between the Columbia Valley and Walla Walla Valley wines beyond the price, and one of the most basic differences is that the Columbia Valley wines tend to drink quite well when they are younger, as they tend to be somewhat less harsh and tannic.  Of course you also miss the wonderful, dark chocolate hints that Walla Walla is famous for, but in a pinch, I suppose we can make do!


This wine is a wonderfully dark, inky sort of color with bright ruby around the edges.  The nose presents a hint of sweet cherry, cedar and a bit of licorice.  The taste is a rush of fruit, with ripe berries that gives way to fresh herbs, while the more subtle tannins provide for a smooth, dry finish.  It's not a big "in your face" sort of Cabernet, but a more refined, structured wine that would really accentuate a food pairing.  And speaking of pairing, tonight I am enjoying this with a perfect meal that screams Northwest cuisine, a wonderful cedar planked wild Copper River salmon fillet, with some grilled purple asparagus and some wild rice.  And of course for dessert, I'll have some of those wonderful strawberries and vanilla ice cream!

I would rate this one a solid 8.5, and I know I have a bias for this being my second favorite winery from Walla Walla, but there's a bonus reason for my high rating.  You see, I was at G.B. Russo's last weekend and he had another Columbia Valley wine on sale, but I was not a fan of that one, but I seemed to be the only one that noticed that he had marked down this wine from the normal $29 price to just $15!!!  Needless to say I got a case and this will be one of our future office wine club selections!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment