Friday, May 18, 2012

2009 Chateau Arnaud Saint-Estephe

I know I've been letting you down this month, letting work get in the way of important wine drinking, but that's all in the past now, as I am ready to get serious about my wine drinking for the rest of the month!  So tonight we are starting off with another of those "legendary" Bordeaux from the 2009 vintage, the Chateau Arnaud Saint-Estephe.  Most Bordeaux today seem to be from the other areas of the region, like Margaux, Medoc, Saint-Emilion and Pomerol, but there seem to be some areas that have almost been forgotten, like Saint-Julien and Saint-Estephe which comes from one of the northernmost areas of the left bank of the Gironde.


Popular or forgotten, I'll still enjoy them and tonight's example is no exception.  This wine is a full-bodied blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Merlot (30%) and Cabernet Franc (10%), with deep ruby color in the glass, with a classic, almost inky appearance at the first pour.  The nose is packed with red fruit and currants, with hints of leather, wood and mint.  There is a good bit of rich fruit on the first taste, with some savory herbs mid-palate, and well structured tannins for a smooth dry finish.

You know I love me some Bordeaux, and this one packs a nice punch!  Overall I would rate this one a solid 8 with some room to improve with a little maturity.  This one was another great wine I bought from my favorite online wine merchant, Wines Till Sold Out, and though a little pricier than usual, I still felt it was a great deal for only $21.  Tonight I am pairing it with a rare New York strip, a baked potato and some steamed veggies, a classic American meal meets France!

No comments:

Post a Comment