Monday, May 21, 2012

2008 Valley of the Moon Zinfandel

I love vacations, you can drink as much wine as you like, and never have to worry about the alarm clock disturbing your malolactic slumber!  So, since I'm on vacation, we'll have plenty of time to explore some wonderful wines, and tonight we have a 2008 Valley of the Moon Zinfandel!  You know how I love Zins, and this one has a cool label to add to the mystique of the wine. 


This particular Zin is from Sonoma, which produces some very nice wines and this one is no exception.  The color is a bright ruby in the glass, and the nose is rich with ample red fruit, with hints of blackberry, plum offset by a bit of leather and cedar.  The taste is somewhat fruit forward, with a bit of berry and black currant, which quickly gives way to a bit of jammy sweetness mid-palate, that finishes with a bit of vanilla and spice.

Overall, this one has a little more fruit than I'm used to, but that's what makes this wine the perfect accompaniment to my thick rare ribeye and grilled savory veggies, like peppers, onions, leeks and asparagus.  I tried this one at a tasting at my favorite local wine merchant, G.B. Russo's and it was great, so how could I resist buying a bottle for only $12?  I would rate this wine a solid 8, and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a wonderful easy drinking wine as the summer nights heat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment