Sunday, May 27, 2012

2007 Ravenswood Pickberry Vineyards Red Wine

Another wine evening, I mean fine evening, but I repeat myself!  Tonight I am enjoying a wonderful bottle of 2007 Ravenswood Pickberry Vineyards red wine.  It was 2000 when I was introduced to Ravenswood, and the single vineyard wines were always at the top of their offerings, and the Pickberry Bordeaux blend was always at the top of the top.  To the fact that I was able to get a few bottles in a recent order from Wineshopper.com is fortunate so I can see if the wine still lives up to its reputation a decade on.


Well, to give away the surprise, it certainly does!  This is a classic Bordeaux style blend of Merlot (58%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (42%) from Sonoma Valley.  This wine is a bright ruby color in the glass, and the nose is a fragrant blend of red fruit, tobacco, licorice and musk.  The taste is surprisingly fruit forward, with hints of cherry and red currant at the front end, giving way to some complex mineral flavors mid-palate.  The finish is wonderfully dry with the tangyness of the tannins providing a nice firm finish.  The wine is still a little young, and will likely age quite well over the next decade or two.

Overall, I can't find much of anything negative to say about this wine, which is somewhat rare in itself!  I would rate this one a solid 9, with the only thing holding it back from an everyday drinking wine being the price, which at $30 is a bit of a stretch in these budget conscious times.  I am enjoying this one with tonight with a grilled ribeye and some roasted asparagus and corn on the cob, a traditional Memorial Day feast, but I've got a hunch I'll enjoy it just as much after dinner relaxing on the patio!

No comments:

Post a Comment