Sunday, April 22, 2012

2007 Monte Antico Toscana

What a lovely evening, nice and cool, clear skies and a beautiful sunset...it's just too bad I've been busy as all get out today!  Work, then the gym for an hour, then I stopped to pick up a chicken burrito for dinner from the local Qdoba (see not every day is a gourmet feast!) and now I'd just like a nice glass of vino to relax before I start all over again tomorrow!

So tonight I've decided to open a bottle of what I consider a very wonderful everyday wine.  Not a spectacular, special occasion type wine, but a nice wine that comes at a price that doesn't have you filling out mortgage applications should you decide to have more than a bottle a week!


The 2007 Monte Antico Toscana is a nice blend of mostly Sangiovese with a bit of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot that seems to give this wine a little more body than a typical Sangiovese.  The wine itself is medium bodied, with a nice bright ruby color in the glass.  The nose is filled with ripe fruit and leather, with a hint of sour cherry.  The taste is somewhat earthy, with tart fruit flavors, giving way to a strawberry jam flavor midpalate, and then some nicely structured tannins for a smooth dry finish.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 7, with a half point deduction for the screw cap (you know how I love my corks!).  It's a lighter style that goes very well with take out Mexican food, or just sipping on the patio after a long day. I think I bought this at my local supermarket for just $7, so again, how can you complain?

No comments:

Post a Comment