Monday, April 9, 2012

2007 Kunde Family Estate Sonoma Valley Zinfandel

Oh how I love me a good Zin, and certainly it's hard to match the Sonoma Valley for really solid Zinfandels, like the one I'm enjoying this evening, the 2007 Kunde Family Estate Sonoma Valley Zinfandel.  I've had a few bottles of wine from Kunde, and they've not disappointed me.


This wine is no exception.  A deep ruby color that suggests a richness you might expect from a good California Zin.  The nose is very rich and supple, with a strong scent of leather and oak intermingled with anise and the faintest hint of licorice atop ripe cherry and plum.  The taste is not as fruit forward as I had expected, rather the subtle fruit tends to provide a lasting, smooth flavor of dark berries to mid palate, followed by well structured tannins that make for a long, vibrant finish.

I'm enjoying this one tonight with some 4-year old cheddar I bought from Herman's Boy, one of my favorite local cheese merchants up in Rockford, Mich., but it would also go with a variety of fun, easy dinner options, from Chinese take out to rich barbecue!  Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, and it was such a bargain at only $10 from Wines Till Sold Out (www.tillsoldout.com).  It's been a while since I plugged them, but I just can't say enough good things about them, by far the best online wine merchant in the world, perhaps even the universe (though I haven't ordered much beyond our solar system).  Great wines, great prices and great people to deal with, what more can you ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment