Saturday, April 14, 2012

2006 Sola Napa Valley Zinfandel

Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of Sola Napa Valley Zinfandel, and I'll admit I was not impressed.  Granted, I am not sure anyone has any business producing Zin in Napa Valley, since everyone knows the best come from Lodi anyway (insert shocked emoticon here), so this one just reinforces my prejudice against wines from Napa that are not Cabernet Sauvignon.


This wine struck me as a bit sketchy from the first pour, very light in color, suggesting not much body which is a problem for such a high alcohol wine.  Initially, the nose was very pungent, with almost sour notes, but after it opened up a bit there were notes of leather, licorice and strawberry with some hints of oak or cedar.  The taste is unremarkable, little more than fruit with alcohol blended in, some notes of sour cherry midpalate and poorly developed tannins for a finish that just say "meh..."  The wine definitely needs time to open up, perhaps some serious time in the decanter (or maybe I'll try my aerator I got for Christmas), but even then there is little about this wine that impresses me.

As for pairings, tonight I'm having teriaki pork tenderloin with some couscous and steamed broccoli, but I'm still mulling opening up another bottle with my dinner, but we'll see.  I would rate this wine a weak 6, and fortunately I don't think I paid a lot for this bottle otherwise I'd be really disappointed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment