Sunday, March 18, 2012

2009 Chateau La Tour de Bessan Margaux - Just a Tease!

What an exciting day yesterday!  You see, in early 2010 after hearing what a great vintage the 2009 Bordeaux was, I decided to go in with some colleagues to buy some futures!  My first ever experiment with wine futures, and believe me they are nothing like commodity futures on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange!  You see, wine futures don't involve leverage, speculation or warehouse receipts, it's a simple transaction really.  You get a somewhat better price than the currently available wine, and you pay that price up front and get your wine a year or two or three later.

The the financial analyst in my, said what a great deal!  Margaux from one of the best vintages in over a quarter century for $20 a bottle?  Sign me up!  So we did, and bought a futures case of the 2009 Chateau La Tour de Bessan Margaux, ordered and paid for in April 2010, and finally delivered in March of 2012!  So we succeeded in buying futures, and taking delivery (though I'll admit this is a horrible idea if you get high off instant gratification), and the bonus was that during the 2 years in the desert, I actually bought a few bottles of the 2005 Chateau La Tour de Bessan Margaux and it was outstanding (you can see my review of that vintage here: http://allaloneonaplanetfullofpeople.blogspot.com/2011/04/2005-chateau-la-tour-de-bessan-margaux.html and needless to say I really liked it, and the 2005 vintage is supposed to pale in comparison to the 2009.  And what incredible luck, as I was looking through the Bordeaux section of G. B. Russo's, where I ordered the futures, I noticed the 2005 vintage was marked down to the incredible price of $19.99!  I asked Dave Russo what the story was with such a steep markdown from the usual price of $44, and he said since everyone was waiting anxiously for the 2009 vintage, they just stopped buying the 2005.  Well load me up partner, I already know this is a wonderful Margaux, and for some $22 with tax, I'll take as much as I can!


So now I bet you're thinking, "Ok get on with it, where are the tasting notes?"  Well, that's where the tease comes in, you see this note was more about our successful experiment in Bordeaux futures, it's not really about the wine!  After all, you should know by now, 3 years isn't near enough time for a Margaux to mature!  Unfortunately you'll have to check back in 2015, by then this wonderful '09 Margaux should be just about ready to try.

Well, I started a little early since I couldn't wait, so here is a link to the review of the 2009 Chateau La Tour de Bessan Margaux, enjoy!

1 comment: