Saturday, March 24, 2012

2007 GraEagle Estate Red Wing - Walla Walla Valley

So little time left to celebrate Washington Wine Month, so I figured I had to open a bottle from the Walla Walla Valley today!  And this one I just picked up at my favorite local wine merchant, G.B. Russo's, on the recommendation of the proprietor.

This wine is a little different than the wonderful Bordeaux style blends that Walla Walla is known for, since this one has some decidedly non-Bordeaux grapes in the blend.  The 2007 vintage has Merlot (34%), Cabernet Franc (33%), Syrah (22%), Sangiovese (7%) and Petit Verdot (4%).  Now I bought this one on closeout since as I understand it, Nicholas Cole Cellars has closed and this wine is no longer being produced, which is always sad to hear!


As for the wine, this one is very nice once it's had a few minutes to catch its breath.  When I poured my first glass I was somewhat concerned as it seemed like a very light wine, which was definitely not what I was expecting, but as it opened up, my fears were allayed.  The nose is somewhat heavy, with a somewhat musty aroma, followed by leather, licorice and just a hint of ripe berry. The initial taste has hints of mocha, while mid-palate gives me a charge of smoked meat (and no, I haven't started even cooking dinner yet!).  The tannins are very subtle, which unfortunately for me leaves the finish just a little flat (it's still very smooth though).

This wine would be a wonderful food wine, suddenly I'm hungry for a grilled pork tenderloin, but that could just be me!  Overall I would rate this one a solid 8, particularly given the closeout price of just $15, which is about half the original price.  It's just sad that there will be not more after this one is gone, so enjoy this one and Washington Wine Month while they're around!

No comments:

Post a Comment