Tuesday, July 5, 2011

2007 Kilikanoon Killerman's Run Cabernet Sauvignon

Yeah, try saying that three times fast!  Our wine today comes from the land down under, where it's probably wintry cold right now, even as I have my A/C cranked!  The Kikikanoon Killerman's Run Cabernet was sourced from premium parcels and blended together and aged in French oak barrels, then bottled unfiltered to preserve the balance of flavors desired by the winemaker.



On the nose, this wine exhibits the classic scent of a very nice cab with a clear presence of fruit, cherry and black currant, but with a hint of leather and spice.  On the palate this wine is fairly dry, with a definite taste of spice more pronounced than the aroma would suggest and very smooth tannins for a long, satisfying finish.  This wine would pair well with lamb, a variety of gilled meats or vegetables, or as I will experience shortly, a nice rare porterhouse, about 1 1/2" thick!

Although Australia is quite well known for its Shiraz, I've found many of the Cabernet blends quite satisfying, and to me this wine marks a progression of Australian wine development.  My only serious reservation on this wine is the use of a screw cap, but alas it's an indiscretion that can be forgiven.  I would rate this wine a solid 8, with the potential for improvement over time.  I got this one from wine.com (actually their wineshopper.com bargain site), and for the perhaps $15 I paid for it, I think it's well work it!

No comments:

Post a Comment