Wednesday, June 1, 2011

2006 Terra D'Aligi Montepulciano D'Abruzzo

Ahhh...I've been neglecting my happy little blog, so here is a first review for the month of June!  Today, I distributed our monthly office "Wine Club" selection, the 2006 Terra D'aligi Montepulciano D'Abruzzo, what I consider an ideal selection to start off the warm summer months.  For those unfamiliar, this wine originates in the Abruzzo region of east-central Italy and is made of 100% Montepulciano grapes (though technically up to 10% Sangiovese is allowed and still maintain the DOC).  Unlike it's Tuscan cousins, the Montepulciano D'Abruzzo is really meant to be consumed young given the rather dry composure and soft tannins typically associated with it.  It is also usually quite a bit lighter than many of the heavier wines we often see today (think "big bold cabs from California).

It is this lighter side that makes it an ideal wine to enjoy at a summer barbecue with a nice ribeye grilled medium rare (or in my case lightly seared), or some nice kabobs or even burgers and dogs on the fourth of July!  It would also pair well with a platter of nice aged parmesan, asiago and romano cheese, or a wonderful array of grilled peppers, zucchini and eggplant!  I need to stop now, I'm making myself hungry and I haven't even started supper!



This particular wine, though a little more mature, exhibits the essence of an early summer wine.  I saw one critic recommend letting this one breathe for an hour, but heck I don't have time for that, so on we go!  The nose exhibits hints of leather, cedar, spice and dark cherries.  The color is a deep purple, which belies the lighter mouthfeel and more composed flavors.  The taste is an interesting blend of ripe fruit, a hint of spice with an exceptionally dry finish.  Overall, I would rate this one a very respectable 8, which coincidentally matches its bargain price tag of only $8!  I picked up a case of this for the Wine Club through Wines Till Sold Out, but if you can find it at your local wine merchant, pick up a bottle and start the summer off right!

No comments:

Post a Comment