Monday, April 11, 2011

2006 Riscal Tempranillo

What a long and busy day!  I came home and thought about opening a good bottle of wine, but it's only Monday!  If my life is this hard already this week I'd be drinking gasoline by the weekend...on second thought, good wine is now cheaper than gasoline!  Instead I've opened up one of my bargain bottles from a few weeks ago so I can save money to drive to work next week, and this one is a very nice 2006 Riscal Tempranillo from Spain.  It's quite light, with a rich red color, though not as opaque as some heartier reds.  As you raise the glass to your mouth, you notice a distinct aroma of leather, cedar and tobacco, but then the taste is rather unexpected.  Quite dry, with hints of cherry, blackberry and licorice with a rather light feel, perfect for a warm spring evening after a long day.  I'm enjoying this with some nice Italian cheese and the lightness of the wine is a sharp contract to the flavors or parmesan and asiago, perhaps a study in contradictions!



Although this wine is certainly not a big bold cab or anything like some of the finer reds of Bordeaux or Italy, it's really nice, expecially considering the value.  I purchased a few bottles of this wine on close out at my local wine merchant (and all around awesome Italian store) G.B. Russo's for the unbelieveable price of just $3.49 per bottle!  The wine does have a screw cap, which is good for some demerits, but really, how could I complain?  For all this, I would rate this wine a solid 6.  Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment