Saturday, March 5, 2011

2007 Louis Martini Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Did you ever have one of those days that started off pretty crappy and just got worse as the day wore on?  Well, that was the kind of day I had today!  It started with a lot of work nonsense, then a lot of errands, then I took off the passenger side mirror from my truck!  You see, we've had a lot of snow, and unlike every other building in my complex, the snow plow people insisted on piling the snow up right in front of my garage!

You can see here how there is a nice pile of snow and so I end up having to try to drive around the pile everytime I go in and out of the garage.  Well, I have a pickup truck and it's not like turning a tiny car in and out, it's a pretty tight fit when I just have to pull in straight.  So when I went out this afternoon to go grocery shopping, I tried to get out and ended up taking my mirror our on the side of the garage you're looking at in the photo.  Luckily the garage is fine, but my truck is not!  Now I have to deal with this next week, UGH!

So with that sort of day, there is no doubt that I absolutely need a glass of wine this evening (maybe a couple bottles!), and I decided to open the 2007 Louis Martini Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon that I got on the recommendation of my friend and coworker Jeanine.  Well, it certainly shifted the direction things were going for me as it's a really nice cab!



This wine is really the standard Napa cab, though not the big bold type that seems so common nowadays.  This one is certainly bold, but it also has some spice and layered complexity that makes it so enjoyable after a tough day.  The aroma is warm and inviting, with hints of berry, oak and a certain earthiness.  Have a sip and the mouthfeel is rather velvety, but sharp.  The taste springs forth with blackberry, cherry and plum, with a spicy oak and subtle tannins, leaving you with a sense of the cool fall day that the grapes were picked.  Overall, a very nice wine, all you would expect from a Napa cab, at a very nice price.  This one was $19.99, not a screaming bargain, but certainly worth the price, and for that I would rate this wine a solid 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment