Friday, March 4, 2011

2005 Pope Valley Eakle Ranch Cabernet Sauvignon

Well this one is a very interesting wine, not at all what I was expecting (you know, Napa Cabs, if you've tasted one you've tasted them all - Just Kidding!  please no hate mail from the Napa fans!).  This wine is very dry, with a very strong presence of oak and tannins which I think will evolve over time, and a nice hint of spice.  This may seem odd, but this wine really does remind me of the taste and finish of many of the fine bordeax that I tasted in Paris in the mid-90s that spawned my ongoing love of red wine.



At any rate, this is the sort of wine that is very easy to drink, oh look at that my glass is empty!  But it's also the kind of wine that won't distract from a meal.  Although this would be great with grilled T-bones, or spicy sausage, it would also go well with many lamb and chicken dishes or even a cedar planked salmon.  For a Napa Valley cab this is a very pleasant surprise for many reasons, not the least of which was the great value right now.  I picked up a few bottles of this wine for Wines Till Sold Out (WTSO), my favorite online source for discounted wines at a crazy price of only $15.99!  Bottom line, I enjoyed this wine very much, and would give it a solid 8.5!

No comments:

Post a Comment