Wednesday, February 23, 2011

2008 Feudo di San Nicola Negro Amaro

Sometimes you read an article on the internet and say to yourself, I should try that!  I am mostly prone to that when it comes to recipes and new wines.  Today's treat comes from an article I read on Snooth.com about the wines of Puglia, or the "heel" of Italy.  When I asked my local wine merchant to recommend some wines from Puglia, he recommended this one, the 2008 Feudo di San Nicola Negro Amaro.

Apparently the negro amaro grape is one common in Puglia, and is one of the best wine grapes in the region.  In comparing to other Italian red wines, this one is charting its own course.  It's much darker and richer than the typical Sangiovese of Tuscany, and if I had to compare it to one other, it might come close to a Valpolicella ripasso, for those who are big fans of Amarone.



The wine itself is a deep ruby red, with a wonderful aroma or rich earthy scents, ranging from aged oak to ripened berries.  The mouthfeel is vibrant, with sensations of smooth velvet, that at first seems quite dry but finished with a hint of sweet berries.  Overall a very nice wine that would go well with grilled meats, rich pasta dishes or even just sipping alone.  I would rate this wine a solid 8.0, well worth the $14.99 sale price I paid!  So venture out of the well trod path of Tuscany and discover what other fun wines Italy has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment